Drug detox procedures are potentially frightening, uncomfortable, painful, and dangerous if performed without any medical assistance. Fortunately, there are various methods of drug detox available. The best way would depend on the drug abuse case and the severity of the condition. It is best to consult a health care provider to determine the best drug detox method to use. A drug detox method that is medically supervised is both safe and effective. Moreover, this can also help prepare a drug abuser for the next stage of combating addiction.
Various Kinds of Drug Abuse
Drug detox is needed for different kinds of drug abuse and addiction cases. There are various kinds of drug abuse. Here are the most common types of drug abuse:
• Prescription Drug Abuse. Prescription drug abuse has become an increasing problem, especially among teenagers and women today. For this kind of drug abuse, the abused drugs are those medications that are only available by prescription that is issued by a health care provider. Some of these medications include anti-anxiety drugs, antidepressants, and painkillers.
• Antidepressant Drug Abuse. Another type of medication that is commonly abused is the antidepressant drugs. This type of drugs is prescribed for the purpose of reducing the symptoms associated with depression. This medication works by altering the chemicals found in the brain. While these drugs may have a beneficial use, this type of drug has a high rate of physical dependency. The health conditions treated with this drug includes OCD or obsessive compulsive disorder, PTSD or posttraumatic stress disorder, and manic depressive disorders. Antidepressant drugs have several categories like NASSAs, MAOIs, NRIs, TCAs, and SNRIs.
• Anti-anxiety Drug Abuse. Anti-anxiety medications are those drugs that are prescribed to reduce the signs and symptoms of anxiety like insomnia and muscle cramps. There is a high chance of developing physical dependence when taking this drug. Withdrawal symptoms like depression, increased anxiety, insomnia, fear, seizures and death can occur if withdrawal from anti-anxiety drug abuse is performed without any medical assistance.
• Painkiller Drug Abuse. Painkillers or opiates are drugs that are prescribed to control pain. Those people who take prescription painkillers for a long period of time are at risk for developing physical dependency.
• Street Drug Abuse. These drugs are often referred to as recreational drugs or illegal drugs. This type of drug is acquired from street drug dealers. Some of the commonly abused street drugs are cocaine, heroin, marijuana, crack, Ecstasy, and meth.
What are the Different Kinds of Drug Detox Methods?
According to a national survey, about 3 million people in the US alone seek drug detox each year. Medical detox is a viable option for people who have developed physical dependence to drug and alcohol use. This detoxification method is monitored by skilled addiction specialists and medical personnel.
Here are some of the most common detox methods:
• Rapid Detoxification. This detoxification method of removing toxins from the body has been considered a good option as this can help avoid the occurrence of withdrawal symptoms. This detoxification method help patients condense and overcome pain associated with withdrawal. This type of method should be administered with the help of a health care professional to prevent any complications during the entire process.
• Chemical Detox. This type of detoxification method makes use of drugs to treat drug dependence. Different kinds of drugs are used for different kinds of drug dependence cases. Medical supervision is required when performing this detoxification method.
• Holistic Detoxification. This type of detoxification method is a new and revolutionary method of detoxification. For this method, there are various techniques that are used. Such techniques will include the use of minerals, vitamins, meditation, and some faith-based approaches.
There is no perfect type of detoxification method. The method that must be used will depend on the abused drug and the lifestyle of the patient. It is important to note that a detoxification method may not work for certain cases but it may work for another. Thus, it is advised to have each drug abuse case properly evaluated before initiating treatment.
Seeking Help from a Health Care Provider
If a detoxification method is needed, it is best to seek help from a professional health care provider. In this way, the drug abuse case will be evaluated properly and the right interventions will be generated based on the needs of the patient, his or her lifestyle, the severity of the drug abuse, and the type of abused drug.
A good way to get the best drug detox method would be to enroll in an inpatient program so drug abuse treatment can be properly monitored. Moreover, the treatment interventions provided in an inpatient facility will also be individualized depending on the needs of each drug abuse patient.